Thursday, January 26, 2012

Red Light Wonder

I was at a stop light when I saw it, the simplest of things, and not something that is in my daily visual dictionary.   Fifty to sixty yards ahead I saw 15 or so brightly colored balloons, all knotted together in one heap of a  mess, floating up into the sky.    I watched  them as they went higher and higher, not taking my eyes off their path.  I felt like I was floating right along with them, motionless in time.   The sky was a perfect blue and their gentleness upwards made the moment surreal. 

I was watching this tidbit of a spectacle in awe; with a giddy child-like anticipation.  What is it with balloons or bubbles or fireworks, that makes grown-ups regress into a state of utter wonderment?  Don't get me wrong, I relished that moment and was as utterly disappointed when the light switched to green  - and how often does that happen?!    Ah, wonderment.  And despite what some of my close friends believe about my love of math, that definitely is not a feeling I get when I am crunching numbers, or pulling weeds or paying the utility bill, for that matter.   I think what hit home with me is the idea, if even for an instance that I was able to just set aside the daily duties, stresses and never ending errands, even just for a moment....and without having to try.  It just snuck up on me, and that was priceless.  An unplanned, unexpected, pure moment; a moment  when time is suspended and hope exists in the cracks.


Yards later I discovered the little moment of joy happened due to a car salesmen adjusting the car windshield signs (and apparently the balloons tied to them) on his lot.   I doubt he lost anymore that day, but I am thankful for the ones he did.

Now, does anyone have any bubbles?

No comments:

Post a Comment