Sunday, January 8, 2012

15 Minutes to the Main Event

Today I realized something about myself, and I must admit it is a little embarrassing.  As much as people think I am put-together, got-it-together and have-it-together, I must not be.   I was with friends who I rarely go to the movies with, so I was a little uncertain as to how we would interact.  The movie previews began, and while it is something I look forward too, it also caused a pang of anxiety.   I am not sure if I wanted them to know this little tid-bit about me. It's pretty personal  - a little nugget of a secret. 

I cry at movie previews - 95% of  them to be exact! 

I know this about myself, but for some reason I can't remember to bring a single tissue with me. And forget about using the napkins for my greasy popcorn fingers.  I'm not sure if they are even classified as paper.   Irregardless, I really don't think I should be tearing up at a video montage and choice sound bites that include cartoon characters.   But with clever cut-a-ways and anthemic music, my fate is set.  I am doomed to eye drizzle.  

I like to think of myself as someone with an intellectual palette - an educated mind.  So why is it so easy for Hollywood to figure me out?  The idea that some big-wig in tinsel town knows me without even knowing me, irks me.    It really has me questioning myself and I  wonder what in the world is wrong with me?   I mean, I am different, right???    If I were different, I wouldn't be that easy to peg.  I wouldn't cry as much, and therefore I would not have to figure out ways to disguise my irrational acts. 

I was hiding my sappiness pretty well and thought I might make it through the previews with my dignity in tact, but I was toast when the preview for Red Tails, a story about the trials of black WWII fighter pilots, graced the screen.   Those tears were legit, but there are only so many clever ways one can disguise wiping the eyes preview after preview, or getting in a sniffle when there is a loud crash or musical climax.  I can only hide this secret for so long!

My covert eye wiping must of been adequate enough, that or my movie buddies were too entrapped themselves to notice the moistness in my eyes.  I think my secret is safe for now, but one day I'll be exposed for the sap that I am.  I just hope the discoverer is a kindred spirit and that they have a hidden stash of tissues to share.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe we are actually blood related- I cry at commercials, music videos, previews, and wedding pictures. Tears, all the time. It's crazy. :) You are not alone!

    ReplyDelete